Fires originating in the kitchen account for over 40% of all fires in the home. Cooking is the leading cause of fires and injuries due to fires in the home. Cooking fires are the second leading cause of home fire deaths, only smoking causes more deaths.
Tips to prevent fires in the kitchen include:
- Never leave an operating stove unattended
- Keep pot handles turned inward away from pets and children
- Keep children and pets out of the kitchen while cooking
- Keep all combustible items a minimum of 3 feet from the stove top
- Keep a tight closing lid or baking pan nearby
- Reduce your distractions while cooking
- Keep a fire extinguisher that is specifically for kitchen fires nearby
- Never move the pan, never carry it outside or put it in the sink, and don't lift the lid until the pan has turned cool
NEVER USE WATER TO EXTINGUISH A GREASE FIRE!