Before you leaving you home after a fire you should:
Items to Take With You
- Secure your property and structures. Contact your insurance carrier for assistance with boarding-up windows and doors.
- Local relief services, like the American Red Cross and Salvation Army, should be able to help you with temporary housing.
Try to locate and take the following items with you:
- Vital medicines such as insulin or blood pressure regulating drugs
- Eyeglasses, hearing aids, prosthetic devices or other personal aids.
- Valuables such as credit cards, checkbooks, insurance policies, savings account books, money, and jewelry.
Notify the following parties of your relocation:
- Your insurance agent or adjuster
- Your mortgage company (Also inform them also of the fire)
- Your employer
- Family, friends, and neighbors
- Your children's schools
- Your post office
- Delivery services, such as newspapers